Today I saw the upstairs of our house. I repeated "we are safe" all the way up the blackened staircase. Bart explained it perfectly. Its like ripping off a band aid. It is horrific and it is 10 times worse than I pictured. It reminds me of a war zone that you see on Fox News, never something you would expect to see in your children's bedrooms. But once I saw it and sobbed in each room, I felt better. I have seen the worst, pictures in my mind will not be worse because I have the real picture. We are in the valley and we are going up the hill.
thumbs up for the day: Caroline and Owen return to school and flourish, receiving some of our own clothes back from the restorers, making headway on a psychiatrist for the kids, visiting our pets at the neighbors house, hugging friends (which meant then they smelled like our house, which would be a thumbs down)
thumbs down for the day: the smell of the house, the smell of the house, the smell of the house, having to shower after leaving the house because of the SMELL OF THE HOUSE, trying to remember every article of clothing that William owned plus its name brand and value, the previous sentence repeated again but instead of the word clothing insert toy,room decor, stuffed animal, furniture, etc.
Picture of the day:
Bart and I standing in our "bedroom"-the best of the upstairs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Julie I am so sorry for what you all are going through. I'm brought to tears after reading this post. If there is anything, I can do, please call on me. Good friends of ours when I was growing up endured a fire that destroyed their home, so I can relate to what you are going through…that smell is still with me today. My cell is 223-1885. I wish we had some clothes for Caroline…I'll look through Aly's dresser.
ReplyDeleteThere are no words. We continue to pray for your family.
ReplyDelete