Friday, January 28, 2011

My oxygen is depleted

Today was emotionally exhausted.  It began with taking the kids to school and a trip to visit my new best friends, the Atlas restoration ladies, who were continuing to pack my house.  I know I've said it before but these women are the salt of the earth.  So strange that they know everything about us, yet have never met our children.  They know what toys are "priority" and are trying to save them even though they normally don't try to restore toys.  They are such a comfort to me now because they are not just restoring our house, they are really restoring our life.  Not once have they laughed when I've asked them to please try to restore this or that.  They have listened to the story of why it is so important.  I know they are being paid for their job but their compassion and patience far exceeds whatever salary they are receiving.  Kathy told me that she spent several hours trying to individually clean Caroline's collection of over 300 cupcake picks. (still praying that the picks will lose the stink)

Tonight we went to Family Fun Night at our children's school.  We asked our lovely friends and neighbors, Lucy and Tim, to walk around with William because we knew we would be bombarded with questions.  William was in his glory being with two of his most cherished friends.  Bart and I were asked so many questions and were glad at the end of the night that the carnival was a distraction for our children and that we could talk it all out to many people in one night at one place and then be done.

Before we went to school tonight, we went to Target.  I was struck how new and pretty everything was.  I now know I've been in my house too long.  I hope today was the last day that I have to go in until the black is all removed.  I'm tired of destruction.  I'm ready for construction.

Speaking of the house, does anyone else have this sign on their house today?
And look who I found in the remains of the attic: its my own childhood friends, covered with soot but still smiling (on their way to be restored but who knows)
Keep on smiling girls, for tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment