Thursday, January 27, 2011

Let me write that down


 (a guest post by Julie’s husband, Bart)

Everyday Julie and I seem to find little things that tell us that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. For me, one of them was the fact that I needed a notebook. In dealing with all of the insurance stuff there are a ton of things that I need to write down and have available. For me the choice was clear. A Moleskin notebook. There is some kind of story behind them that has something to do with Hemingway. Whatever… All I know is that it is a quality notebook that has a pocket to hold cards and an elastic band to keep it shut.
 I have a fascination with notebooks. This is kind of odd since I really hate to write. With the exception of my name, I am pretty sure that I forgot how to write in cursive about fifteen years ago. Now all I do is print. This was confirmed a couple of weeks ago when Caroline was practicing her cursive writing and asked me “Dad, how do you write a capital ‘Z’?” For the life of me I could not remember. I picked up a pencil and stared at the page. It finally came back to me but at that point it became clear that my children are going to be far more intelligent than I am.

So I have my, very specific, new notebook but that is not where the obsession ends. I will only write in it with a certain mechanical pencil.
 I have had this pencil since college. Actually I have two of them. I originally got them in a drafting class my Freshman year. Back then we actually used a pencil and eraser and drew on paper! Crazy! So here I am a person that hates to write with a passion but has an obsession with a notebook and a sub-obsession for the pencil.  I wish that it ended here but it doesn’t. When I make a mistake in the special notebook with the perfect pencil I only allow myself to erase it with a white eraser.
 Not pink. Not yellow. Not one of those weird gum erasers. White. I wish that I only had this one strange obsession with a sub-obsession and a sub-sub-obsession. Not so. There are more but I am way too embarrassed to admit more of them. I am sure that Julie wishes that one of them would be vacuuming or bathroom cleaning but, alas, that is not the case.

So that is my guest blog. And, yes, I typed it and did not hand write it first. I don’t want to use up all of the pages in my notebook.

P.S. (from Julie)
Hope everyone ordered their Girl Scout cookies.  Here is a pic of my technologically savvy Girl Scout selling to her grandparents and cousins via Skype
P.P.S.  Is it just me or are Bart's pictures lame?  I mean, could he have varied the background at the very least.  Let's see a display of the Moleskins at Barnes and Noble.  After all,this blog has a reputation to live up to.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! You two are funny... you can tag team! I'm a sucker for a good notebook...

    ReplyDelete