She was bursting with pride. Her exact words were "Mom, I think I might be pretty good at playing the flute." She had earned this infectious grin with many hours of practice, not brought on by Bart and I, but initiated on her own. Her teacher had complimented her, telling her that she was becoming a true musician. That pure smile on her face lasted and lasted.
On this, the eve of her 11th birthday, the gift she has given herself is better than any gift she will unwrap tomorrow. Finding a passion, a God given talent, and running with it to high heights is an enormous present to oneself, one that can be unwrapped for a lifetime.
It was a great parenting moment for me. Not because I did anything special, but because she has uncovered a part of herself and was celebrating it.
Now, what can I find for these two crazies?

No comments:
Post a Comment