Like all mothers right now, I have a folded, tattered list in my purse -the school supply list. This year, I'm shopping for three and as I admit each year, I love school supply shopping. Seriously, if you don't like it, I will do it for you. As the PTO President this year, I get lots of fundraising flyers in my school mailbox and one was a school supply shopping service. WHAT? And take away my joy of looking through the character folders and relishing in the 20 cent box of crayons that are $2.50 any other time of the year? No thank you! Really, I start hovering around the seasonal section of Target right after July 4th just to get a glimpse of colored pencils and glue sticks, cute pencil sharpeners and oh,oh,oh those black and white composition notebooks.
Because William is going to full-day kindergarten (see my dread about that here), a beach towel used for rest time was on his list. Um, no. That just doesn't seem comfy. If I am going to watch all three of my children get on the school bus and stand on the sidewalk in my completely alone misery, then by gosh my baby (I mean kindergartener) will be cozy at nap time. The question was how to do this without going too over the top (blow-up mattress). Would a slight modification to said flimsy beach towel be that noticeable?
Enter Target (of course). Two clearance beach towels.
Sew a minky pillow, stuffed very lightly to one of the towels. Sew both towels together, wrong sides facing so that the towel is thicker. I thought about sewing it into a sleeping bag, but Bart talked me off of the edge. I don't want to be THAT parent. Truthfully, if he hadn't been home, I probably would have done it! The beach towel folds up the same as it would plain, hiding its little minky secret inside.
Test finished product using a panel of experts (one kindergartener.)
So happy. And maybe there will be once less tear from me on the first day of school knowing that my sweet William is a bit more cosy at rest time. Or could picturing him laying on his little pillow make more tears? Yes, probably that one. Maybe I need a minky pillow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment