Friday, August 5, 2011

Parting is such sweet sorrow

Dear Summer,

Please don't go.  Every year I pledge my allegiance to you and every year you dump me just when I declare that those other pesky seasons are dead to me.  You always confuse me at the end, because while you are still lingering, my children go back to school.  I'd prefer the clean break when they walk out the door, lunch boxes in hand.  It would be less painful.

You know I love pumpkins and Halloween parades, and lets face it, we're all sucked in by the Christmas lights, but you know my heart belongs to you and only you.

If you are looking for specific reasons why I love you, here they are:

1.your clothes are easier.  Hardly anything needs ironing and flip flops are acceptable any day, any time.  A $10 knit skirt from Old Navy can become a staple of my wardrobe.

2.you offer birthdays for 4 out of 5 members of my family (sorry Bart!)

3.the pool provides endless hours of entertainment for my children and endless chit-chat with my OWN friends.

4.no homework for me to remember (I mean, for my kids to remember)

5.the sound of all of my children in the house, engaged in good old fashioned imaginary play (Build A Bear board meetings, fort construction, animal daycare, lego contests, Butterflies Cafe and constant dress-up)

6.six week of swim team, which makes me feel like a great parent, followed by 6 weeks of lazy mornings that also makes me feel like a great parent

7.catching fireflies

8.snowcones (and by that, I mean shaved ice - I am an ice snob)

9.wet hair pulled back in a ponytail

10.outdoor movies on my neighbor's driveway.

If you will reconsider leaving, I will be forever loyal to you.  However, if you do end, I will throw you to the wind, crunch you like a leaf under my feet, and come back to haunt you.  Wait, that's sounding familiar.

Yours always, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment