Monday, April 25, 2011

I heart my newborn

We've decided to send our baby to full-day kindergarten.  Registration was a few days after the fire and in our fresh despair, we signed William up for half-day mornings.  He needed protecting from the big-bad world of kindergarten.  I wanted to wrap him in fire proof bubble wrap and not let him leave my sight.  In my mind, he looked like this:

Sure he can hold his own bottle.  I'm not so pathetic that I picture him as a newborn!  But let's face it, obviously, he still needs me.

Friday, I learned that there were two more open spots for the full-day class.  And when I opened my eyes, this is the boy I saw:

Okay, I admit that he can ride a bike without training wheels, he can swim, he can write his first and last name and maybe, just maybe, he needs full-day kindergarten.  So what if I was the last to know?  I was blinded by things like this:
I heart you too William and I will be the saddest Mommy ever when you get on that school bus.  Um, what I meant to say is that I'm thrilled you are growing up and will be a confident, happy kindergartener.

1 comment:

  1. Julie: I feel your pain honey. You saw that FB post. I have hedged here and there and thought about calling the private half day program. However, I keep thinking about how nice it will be to have them all in the same place so I can go there and volunteer and be a part of their education in a really meaningful way. I still worry about whether it is the right choice. Yours in mutual love of babies. J

    ReplyDelete