I saw a car magnet the other day that said "0.0 I don't run." A soulmate! Or should I say sole-mate?
I don't dislike runners of course. If you run for fitness and you love it, have fun. But the hype around running, that is what drives me crazy. So many posts and pics uploaded from half marathons, full marathons and beyond. And why do runners get medals? Lets think about other occasions where adults receive medals - the Olympics, a Nobel Prize, active duty in the military. Yes, those all seem on equal footing with a half marathon turkey trot. I feel bad for the person who trains and struggles to run a 5K - its would almost be embarrassing to post about that meager distance. I have no runs under my belt, not even a mile. I'm okay with it.
I do however like to walk and today I wandered in to the runner's den, Fleet Feet, to be fitted for a new pair of walking shoes. It was the first time I bought a pair of shoes based only on comfort and not style. That is harder to do than it sounds. Just like it is hard to choose a paint color without being swayed by the name, it is hard to choose a shoe without noticing the color. Jane, my lovely salesperson, asked me what I liked about pair 1 over pair 2. I blurted out "they're pink and orange and the others are Buzz Lightyear colors." I think she is used to dealing with serious runners. After measurements and practice walks down the sidewalk (awkward) and many shoes later, I found these:
Not the cutest, but by far the most comfortable. In an effort to make them a bit more stylish, I swapped out the gray laces for blue ones. And now I have no reason not to get walking.
Thank you Jane at Fleet Feet for welcoming this non-runner into your world . Now where's my medal?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment