![]() |
| Top of the Ferris Wheel, 2013 |
Lately, I have looked at my sons (at least the two who can walk and talk) and I worry that I am not doing enough to raise the men I picture them to be. Someday I want to sit in the front row at each of their weddings and know that I have raised a man who is so smitten with the woman standing next to him that he can't imagine life without her and so sure of the God that he stands before that he can't imagine life without Him. I want to know that all three boys will confide their secrets in each other, as brothers should, and that they learned to treat women with respect by the way they treated me and their sister. I know they won't be perfect, but I hope they welcome mistakes as ways to grow and suffering as a way to learn compassion for others.
When they ask someone how they are doing, I want them to stop and listen for the response. I want them to see each person they encounter as God's intended creation and honor that by seeing the best in them. I want them to work hard at something they love and feel the satisfaction of of a job well done - whether it's raking leaves at home or running a company. I want them to be scout leaders and Eucharist Ministers, good neighbors and son-in-laws. While I want them to find careers that they love, I hope they'll realize that riding a bike with their baby strapped in will bring them more happiness than any day at the office.
I am on top of the ferris wheel with my boys - the best part of the ride. I am the woman in their life and I know that won't last long. Their dad is the perfect role model for them and I feel blessed and grateful. I know though that my role is huge. I know that I will need courage and faith for sometimes life is going up, sometimes down and sometimes it is still and waiting. Either way, its a thrill to be along for the ride.


No comments:
Post a Comment