Last year, Bart and I decided to join a small neighborhood pool. The bring your own cooler, order pizza, hang out with friends old school pool. We learned at the time that all the cool kids join their swim team - a family friendly, no screaming parents kind of swim team. Bart and I announced to our kids that we had signed them up - much to their horror. You see, we had never really pushed our children to achieve a physical goal. Oh sure, they ride their bikes all of the time and they play soccer, but this would be a challenge. Swimming laps every morning in sometimes ice cold water for 6 weeks and competing in five meets. I had no doubt that they could do it. They had many doubts.
Confession- beyond basic swimming and biking, I have never pushed myself in any physical pursuits and I was hoping that if I pushed my own children, just maybe they would add it to the list of life's good habits. So, Bart and I pushed them forward and cheered them on and a very cool thing happened - they did it. They loved being a part of a team in their matching swimsuits, they loved their races written on their arms in Sharpie marker and most important - they were proud of themselves. It felt like one of the best parenting decisions we've ever made.



No comments:
Post a Comment