Since the kids are on Spring Break and we were all needing a little something to look forward to, we headed off to Kansas City for the weekend. We decided to make it a quick overnight trip. The kids' excitement level proved to me that you don't have to spend thousands, jump on a plane and travel the world to have a great time. They were giddy about the trip.
First stop - the Diana exhibit - a traveling tour of 25 of Princess' Diana's dresses, her wedding gown and childhood treasures. While the boys ventured off to an IMAX theater, Caroline and I headed in. We were beyond excited. I have successfully converted my daughter to the love of all things royal.
I would divide the dresses into two categories: 1)Hello 80s and 2)Post-Charles Sass. The difference is striking! Our favorite dresses were the Post-Charles sassy dresses, but I did love seeing some familiar 80s plaids that I remember her wearing. Her wedding gown is both extremely dated and capital F Fabulous! One thing that was noticeably absent from the exhibit - any mention of William and Harry. Since the exhibit is owned by the Spencer family, I'm guessing that the Palace did not authorize the use of anything belonging to the handsome young Princes. Sad really, as I would guess that Diana would say her greatest role in life was being their mother.
Second stop on our 24-hours in Kansas City was the American Girl store and mega Barnes and Noble. Something for everyone.
Dinner at a brick oven pizza place, swimming at the hotel pool, and day one was over.
Day two brought a trip to the Kansas City zoo. We all agreed that the polar bear was our favorite animal there. Turns out, we should have just stayed and watched the polar bear all day as the rest of the zoo was pretty dirty and old!
And now to leave you with some random facts:
Not sure which is weirder- that these cool illustrations were in the bathroom of a truck stop or that I took pictures of them. Let's not even decide on that one. Lets just give a shout out to the person who ordered them and tried to bring up the decor of the otherwise hillbilly design of the place.
No comments:
Post a Comment