Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Dream house found
Bart and I have always talked about our dream house. The house we would build, with the circular drive and shake shingles. Dormer windows and carriage garage doors. We would host Caroline's wedding reception under a tent in the big backyard and and have a line of twin beds in the attic room for our grandchildren's sleepovers. I am always looking for land, or a house that can be altered to fit the dream. I stop at every open house and I know every street that our school's boundaries encompass. I have a dream house binder overflowing with pictures cut-out of magazines.
Lately though, I've been sorting through my dreams. Taking a mental inventory of cute, colorful binders brimming over with stashed wishes waiting to be fulfilled. When you reach 40, you start thinking about these things. While I have not yet marked the half-way point of life (hopefully), I am keenly aware that the timeclock is working.
Two "folders" seem to be in the forefront of my mind. They are labeled Baby and Dream House. Upon reflection, I've realized that Baby is the one that is running out of time. And upon further reflection, I've realized that I am living in a dream house. Not exactly THE dream house in my mind, but a dream house to millions worldwide who live in poverty. And while my concerns for them are very real, three other little people come to mind first - my children. As I'm scouring the suburb looking for the picture in my head, I am actually living in my children's dream house. The only house they've ever known. The backyard is not big enough for a wedding tent but it grew the tree that holds their rope swing. The staircase we do have is the one that they gallop down on Christmas morning. While the driveway isn't circular, it does lead to the cul-de-sac where they ride their bikes with friends. This house holds their memories and it holds the people I love.
I will still keep dreaming but I will also enjoy the dream I'm living. It is quite a nice feeling actually. Some may call it contentment, but I prefer to call it happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment