Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mom Camp

Today I overheard two strangers talking about summer camp.  It's that time of year again - time to open your checkbook and your summer calendar and enroll your children in camps.  I used to be one of those moms, until last year.  

My two oldest children go to school from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  When did that crazy long school day begin?  They are out of my care for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 1/2 months of the year.  I miss them.  I love that they have friends and smart, very capable teachers and a feeling of independence.  But, aside from being the chef, chauffeur and maid, am I a part of their lives?   I believe that when you decide to have a child, you are signing up to teach someone manners and handwriting and how to ride a bike and how to pump their legs on the swing.  You are responsible for soothing bruised egos,  make-believe boo-boos, and broken friendships.  I lose many of these teaching moments during the school year.   I'm willing to forego the costly princess and magic camps in order to re-connect with my trio of future grown-ups.

I am a firm believer in doing nothing.  When I look back on my childhood, my greatest memories occurred within our patch of Maryland soil.  As far as I know, there weren't summer day camps then.  Life was simplier.  We didn't feel the need to sign our children up for three different baseball teams, British soccer camp and Beauty and the Beast camp.  

So, last summer, we signed up for our summer of nothing.  We divided each week into library day, fun lunch and errand day, two pool days and a stay-at-home day.  My children had friends over, they played in the sprinkler and they built forts.  We did morning yoga, they learned to fold laundry and we rode bikes.  We drank milkshakes, went to the snow cone stand and sat outside and read. 

My three campers agreed that it was the best summer ever and here is the extra special part - it was FREE!   I've signed up to be their camp counselor again this year.  The job offers no monetary reward, but much satisfaction.  Welcome back campers.  I hope you enjoy Mom Camp.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. Since I've traveled into the world of playwriting and freelancing from home a few years ago, I get to be with the twins over their summer vacations. Most parents I chat with don't believe me, but I honestly look forward to having them here! Sure, I have to adjust my schedule (late-night writing, evening meetings and conference calls), but it's SO worth it. And several times a week, my niece will join us and we have official "Camp Uncle Ty" which involves voted-upon activities like picnics, fishing, library time, movies, walks, playgrounds, reading books aloud, crafts, badminton/tennis tournaments, trips to DQ, and last year I held a workshop showing them how to write their own play! This year, I promised to "slime" the kids -- just like on Nick (cornstarch, water and green food coloring). Plus I give them plenty of down time where they can just BE A KID and play, play, play. So I agree with you 100 percent, Julie. Why pay someone else to spend the lazy, crazy, hazy (and memory-making) days of summer with my own children, if I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we totally do Camp Mom, too. we LOVE it and wouldn't have it any other way.
    {so glad you visited the other day! nice to meet you!!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully written, Julie...aside from a couple of sport camps, we are going to do the same. Thank you for the inspiration and realization of what summer is really all about!

    ReplyDelete