Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I heart big families

Last night, we took the kids to see a stage production of the Sound of Music.  I love the Sound of Music so much that my husband, who has no interest in it on his own, has seen it so many times that he knows most of the words to all the songs.  And that is just the kind of guy he is.  As I watched Maria and her seven little ducklings dance across the stage, it occured to me that I am really smitten with large families.   I have a history with large t.v. families: the Bradys, the Bradfords, the Duggars.  And now I continue my love by following the blogs of large families.  I guess that is why infertility for me seemed like such a kick in the pants.  Really?  I can not conceive babies?  And then after three failed in vitros - Really?  I can not carry babies either?   Bart and I always said though that after three fabulous adoptions, we have laughed in the face of infertitiliy. Take that!  We will not be defeated!  We will fill up our mini van!   But lately, the longing is seeping back in.  Does infertility have the last laugh?  I wish that Bart and I came from large families - families who plan huge summer trip to their summer place (insert lake house, beach house or mountain cabin here), where lots and lots of cousins gather with multiple generations delighting in each other's company.  I wish at Christmas time, that we had so many siblings that we had to chose names for gift giving and the childen put on a nativity play.  In my dreams, this is who I am and when I wake up, this is who I want to be.  Watch out infertility, I might just have to laugh at you again.

2 comments:

  1. After seeing it so many times the movie has grown on me and I think that the Antwerp train station flashmob put it over the top for me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k). By the way, if we were to have another daughter I will be pushing to name her Liesl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie:
    I cross my fingers for you and a filled up Swagger Wagon, but though we are not sisters, we do have a beach house in this family:) So, just let us know when you want to come and I will call upon the good graces of Stella and Bill. We spent nearly three weeks there this summer (I did, Jimbo only had two weeks) and I had four kids (as my nephew stayed in between his Dad's long weekends). It was lots of work, but boy did they have fun. I even bought them matching swim shirts and trunks! Hugs

    ReplyDelete