Saturday, June 12, 2010

Oh say can you see, I love D.C.

There are two cities that have stolen my heart - London and Washington, D.C.  Both places that I would love to live because I am quite certain that only living there would satisfy the craving to see it all.  Since I grew up in Maryland and made many D.C. day trips, I have made it my mission to introduce my children to the nation's capitol.  For me, it is a city that conjures up happy emotions of nostalgia and patriotism.  I always pictured myself raising my children there, pushing my stroller down the cobblestone streets and museum hopping at our leisure.  Despite living far away, we have made many pilgrimages there and I'm happy to say that my little Midwesterners are also smitten.  I love walking hand-in-hand with them up the wide marble staircases of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and watching our pennies be pressed flat to reveal scenes of D.C.  I love walking with Caroline through the dimly lit rooms of the First Ladies' inaugural gowns, realizing how many gowns have been added during my lifetime.  I love standing at the Lincoln Memorial and looking down the reflecting pool to marvel at the layout of America's city. I love the classic picture in front of the Washington Monument, that has served as a pictorial growth chart for generations of Americans. Plus the souvenirs that we've purchased over the years can not be beat:  Jackie Kennedy paper dolls,  a White House tour on View master reels, a tube of rubber astronauts,  plastic pop-up monuments, space food, rubber animals, presidential rulers, and wooden White House Easter eggs.  I have four favorite souvenir locations: the American History Museum gift shop, the odd-looking trailer outside of the Washington Monument, the White House Visitor's Center and the massive basement shop in the National Gallery of Art.   If you have not been to D.C., you must add it to your bucket list.  It will not disappoint.  Tell  George and Abe I sent you.

1 comment:

  1. You do make it sound very intriguing. We have never been. Perhaps we could go with our fabulous neighbors sometime!

    By the way, the skirt looks amazing! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete