Saturday, May 22, 2010

Head to the Crate!

I love Crate and Barrel.  It's in my top ten list of stores.  Target, Sign of the Arrow, HomeGoods,  Hobby Lobby, Harrods,  Trotters, J. Crew,  the White House Visitor's Shop and American Girl - in no particular order.  The Crate (a pet name I just made up- pass it on!) is a given.  As in, you know at least 50% of their inventory.  Need a set of 24 white buffet plates? Head to the Crate.  Giant popcorn bowl needed?  You'll find it at the Crate.  Want to buy a gift that you don't have to wrap?  Everyone loves the classic black and white cardboard box found where?  I hear you, the Crate. 

A few days ago, I received the summer catalog in the mail.  Now in less I am in need of any of the above aforementioned staples, I usually make two pilgrimages to the Crate each year - one at the beginning of summer and one right after Thanksgiving.  These are the times when the Crate really shines!



Oh!  The orange, the yellow, the lime!!!!   I could dance through the store its so sunny.  Even the wall of clear glassware seems to reflect the sunshine.   My eyes darted from floor displays to wall vignettes.  I love it all.  I can't have it all, but I can search for the one goodie that captured my eye in the catalog - the "water-repellent polyurethane tote with black and white striped fabric lining in four fashionable brights: aqua, orange, yellow or very berry."  I find them past the elevator, right by bedding,.  They are beautiful.  They look like yummy  lollipops.  The decision as to which color to buy is painstaking - I feel I should be at Camp David with the world's leaders helping me decide.  First color eliminated: aqua.  The color wasn't as cute in person as it was in the catalog.  Then I eliminated the very berry.   I like pink or red, not the unsure of itself berry.   The yellow and orange were calling my name.  They screamed summer.  I decided to head upstairs to delay the decision even longer. 
I love the elevator ride because you get the full view of the store.  Its like the stairway to heaven.  I am ready to move in upstairs.  Really, would it be so bad for a family of five to live on the top floor?  We could leave during the day and eat in this dining room at night:



I am upstairs, when I spot it - the most beautiful chair I have ever seen.  I was half expecting it to be called the Julie chair.  I sit on it.  It is unbelievably comfortable.  After spending probably too much time sitting in the chair in my pretend living room, I had to walk away.  I did the glance back at the chair - you know the look you give when you are walking away from the one you love. 
I realize my own awkwardness and head back downstairs and back to the tote decision.


I leave the store feeling like I have met an old friend for lunch, happy to have caught up and vowing to meet again soon.  Realistically, we both know it won't be until the Christmas catalog arrives.  I mean, everyone knows their ornaments rock.  
 
As to what color I bought.......orange you glad I finally decided?
 

1 comment:

  1. I must say, the orange is fabulous, and so you! Have you visited your chair yet?

    ReplyDelete