My third child is turning five in a few months. I love this age. I love all ages, but this age is like the re-birth of spring. As a parent, you have just plowed through a long year and a half winter of testing limits, separation anxiety, questionable listening skills and a child seeking his place in the world. You have heard things from preschool teachers like "he lives life to the fullest" and "he's learning to listen." You have endured several of his self-inflicting hair cuts. You have marveled at how he can bring up poop in every conversation. You have wondered how that whole tub of lotion he spread on your wall did not take the paint off.
But one day, you wake up and he's changed over night. He loves to help. He listens to what you say! He constantly professes his love for you. He has discovered himself. He knows that he loves chipmunks, superheroes, wind-up toys and gum. He knows that he loves to dance under the hand dryers in public restrooms. He loves to dress himself and in his book of style, no outfit is complete without his plastic peace necklace.
I am pleased as punch that he and I have both survived the winter and even more pleased that he knows I stuck with him, I've had his back, I'm his people. He is sweet and funny, this shadow of mine.
Peace out.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment