
Dr. Oz is haunting me. I purposely avoided his show last week because a preview elluded to what I already know deep in my heart-Pepsi is bad for me. Truly though, the man is out to get me. In the past three days, his veggie-eating, ab-crunching, yoga-practicing self has "spoken to me" via Oprah, the news and a magazine article. And then today, I flip on The View and he lowers the boom - sugary sodas increase your risk of pancreatic cancer by 50%. WHAT?! That got my attention. His detailed animation on Oprah of sugar scraping the inside of my vessels perked my attention, but the big C, now that closes the door on my relationship with Pepsi. Pepsi, I'm just not that into you if you can cause cancer.
In my own defense, I do not drink or smoke and I eat relatively healthy. I drink lots of water and my lactose intolerance shut down ice-cream eating 20 years ago. I do not allow my children to drink soda. So, why do you ask, do I drink it? Let's face it- it's a fun Mom drink. You moms know- you all have your Mom drink that gets you through some long days. Whether it comes from Starbucks or the fountain at Target, we all know our poison.
So tonight, I am in our grocery store. I am so proud of myself that I am bypassing the Pepsi tower. For the first time since this store opened in the fall, I am happy that amidst the cheese cave, the cooking school mezzazine and the wine tasting bar, they neglected to put in a fountain soda machine. I applaud my new lifestyle with a trip to the smoothie bar for my other favorite Mom drink. As "Mr. I look 14 but I'm the Smoothie Bar Manager" makes my drink, I hear Dr. Oz shouting in my head "Ask for the sugar content!" and so I do. I mean, its a soy berry smoothie right? I quickly learn that it is not the protein powder that makes me energized, it's the 45 grams of sugar. My heart sinks. Two breakups in one week.
Organic green tea with lemon, I am yours.

You are a GREAT writer. You crack me up...this will be fun! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI am so amazed at your strength and dedication. I just don't think I can say goodbye cold turkey. Are you going to start a support group?
ReplyDeleteYes, but what does Dr. Oz say about Coney Island hotdogs ('with,' of course) and a Cherry Smash??? ;)
ReplyDeleteP.S. Love the blog! oxox