Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bookworm

I adore children's books. I always have. I head straight to the children's section when I go in a book store. In my fantasy world, I own a children's bookstore or I am, dare I say it, a children's author. Great Goodnight Moon - can you imagine!? To live eternally on the shelves of children's' bedrooms - what an honor that would be.

We have a challenge brewing at our house - it's 1st grade Reading for the Stars month. At the beginning of February, I happened to be in the classroom when Owen chose his reading goal of 50 books for the month-long challenge. The children were asked to choose between 50 and 100. Now to say that Owen is laid-back would be like saying that the East Coast has had some flurries this winter. No surprise that he chose the lowest number. In his defense, he reads constantly - but its always animal fact books. Did you know that about 30 Velvet Mites can fit on the fingernail of your thumb? I did. Being Owen's mom means that I have learned hundreds of pieces of bizarre animal trivia.


Seeing this challenge as an opportunity for him to stretch himself, I convinced him to pick a higher goal. Crazy I know because of course, he picked 100. So today, we counted out how many books Owen has left to read in order to reach his goal. Exhibit A:

Owen aside, let me just shout from the rooftops and say that I will not be defeated! Bring it on Doreen Cronin and David Kirk. Hello to my old friends Lucy Cousins and Dr. Seuss. I am a mother out to prove to her child that he can grab the brass ring. Oh, and on that day that we prevail, we will quench our parched mouths not just with the drink of good books but with tall celebratory milkshakes. 68 down, 32 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment