Thursday, August 4, 2016

Sweet Sixteen

Caroline is sweet sixteen!   Most people would say "how did that happen?"  But to me,  she seems sixteen.  I can't remember a time when I wasn't her mom, when I wasn't rewarded daily with her smile and grace.  The Miss Spider, Cinderella and art birthday parties seem so long ago.  Its been three years since I set foot in the American Girl store.  The play kitchen in her room has long been replaced with a photo wall of friends and twinkling white lights.   She's gone from carseat to backseat to front seat to driver's seat.  She goes places with friends and has her own money.    Amidst all of the negative teen stereotypes, she has been easy and open to Bart and I helping her navigate the social and academic pressures of high school.  MUCH thought went into how she wanted to celebrate and we settled on a fancy backyard dinner party and movie on the back of the house.  It felt grown-up, but still simple and sweet.  An added bonus was that Bart and I had a busy but fun date night in our roles as the kitchen help!


 Her birthday plate that I painted 15 years ago.

 Name that movie!


 You'll notice that the gold sixteen is no longer on the cake - it caught fire while lighting the candles!


Love this picture of my sweet pea - laughing amidst a table of friends.  Happy Birthday Caroline!

No comments:

Post a Comment