Sunday, August 21, 2016

Rest in peace stroller

It is time to say goodbye to an old friend - my Britax stroller.  I capital L-Love this stroller.  I am a firm believer in a top-of-the-line stroller.  Skip the diaper genie, the wipes warmer, the bottle sterilizer and limit yourself to one exersaucer/swing/light up plastic palace but DO NOT skimp on a stroller.  Cheap wheels, poor steering and too much weight to lift into your car will come back to haunt you EVERY SINGLE DAY.    Because William, the baby who we thought would be our last,was 6 at the time of Finnegan, the bonus baby's birth, we had long said goodbye to our first stroller (an awesome navy Peg Perego.)  So, off we went to the giant baby store (where I always wished that they sold babies).  As a side note shout out to my husband - he always parked in the "expectant mother" spot after we had matched with a birth mom because being completely ignored by salespeople in a baby store because you aren't visually expecting is just one of the many ways that an adoptive mom feels left out.    Back to the stroller-   we went in search of the super fancy Bugaboo- the stroller that graces the magazine covers and comes in all of the fabulous colors of kelly green, hot pink and lemon yellow.   We soon realized that the Bugaboo is perfect if you live in New York City or London, strolling around town in your stroller and then pushing on your building's elevator - never having to fold it up and put it in a car.    We tried to fold it and put it in our car at the store as a test.  We quickly said goodbye to the Bugaboo.  Now the whole time we are looking, William is saying "I like this one.  Let's get this one."  Over and over and over as he races it through the store.  You can guess the end of the story - we ended up loving the one he chose - the Britax.

I remember a week or two before Finn was born, I would push the stroller around inside the house so excited that it would soon be filled with my fourth child.   I took my Godson Zach for a ride as its maiden voyage.

When Finn was born, and we were out and about in a strange state far away (another oddity of adoption), the stroller was a rock star as the car seat and stroller canapies met in the middle and completely covered and protected our newborn from passing germs and coochie-coos.  It rained SO much when we were in Louisiana that many days were spent strolling up and down the halls of our hotel home-away-from-home.  Down the hall, elevator down, down the hall, elevator down, down the hall..... you get the idea.



Here's another thing about adoption, and infertility in general.  A stroller is a visible sign that yells "in your face Mother Nature!"   Sure the crib, diapers, and all other baby paraphernalia does too, but not in the public way that the stroller does.  For the first time in however many years you have been in a staring contest with infertility, you are the victor.  While infertility blinked, you were handed a baby and by gosh, now you are strolling down the mall with it.  You are NORMAL again!


-pause - couldn't you just stare at the picture above for your whole life? - un-pause

The Britax has been on car rides and airplanes, walks around the neighborhood and walks down to the beach.   But the time has come - Finn is four.  My steadfast walking companion (the stroller) has been replaced by another walking companion who is a bit more laborious (Finn.)  And because you get what you pay for, the Britax is more than ready for another owner.    I listed it on our local swap and sell site, and much to my horror, mommies lined up for it.  I just meant to list it - not SELL it!  I'm not ashamed to admit I was teary eyed.  I washed it and Finn wanted to ride his bike and said "you push the stroller Mom."  So there I am, in our court, pushing the empty stroller while Finn bikes and then I start to see neighbors out - and they see me and must be wondering if there's a baby in the stroller and then I realize, I've lost it.

I respond to the first mommy in line and I tell her that her darling profile picture makes me think she is worthy of my Britax.  After I send it, I realize that I should have kept that to myself.  So I send her a note back to tell her I'm not a weirdo to which she responds, "No I thought it was great!  Totally something I would say and then immediately rethink bc I'd be afraid the person would think I'm a sociopath."  Obviously, first mommy in line is deserving of the Britax.  I can do this! 

A few hours later, she appears.  I show her all of the beautiful features as if the stroller is a prize pony.  Because she is very pregnant, I load up the stroller in her car.   I am doing it!  I am giving away the stroller!  I am not sure how I will hold my drink, my purse and my bags at the mall, but I am doing it!  Goodbye old friend- happy trails!













No comments:

Post a Comment