Thursday, November 3, 2011

51 shopping days (but really, don't wait)

I am so giddy about the holidays.  No, I'm not crazy.  I'm one of THOSE people.  I love Thanksgiving and Christmas and all that it entails.  I love shopping for the perfect gift, decorating and enjoying sweet family time.  I'm all about being thankful and the turkey, but it really doesn't bother me that Christmas things are out.  If you are one of those people who complains about it incessantly, let me break this to you gently.  It  makes you sound like a scrooge.    You have enjoyed 10 months out of the year without Christmas decorations.  You can celebrate Thanksgiving and still enjoy the wreathes and lights that are emerging.  In fact, you can enjoy it more.

Lets say you wait until after Thanksgiving to begin your shopping, plan holiday outfits for your family and make sure you locate that elusive perfect size extension cord that you need for your outside lights.  You will then be a card carrying member of the Grinch Club.  You will be in the mall the week before Christmas scrounging over the leftover sales from the pre-Thanksgiving shoppers.  I will be in the mall too, but I'll be visiting Santa and enjoying a nice dinner out knowing that my shopping is done.

So today, I will begin a public service to you, the reader.   I will take you along with me Christmas shopping and let you know about some bargains that I have found or just general must-haves, some I've purchased and some I haven't.  First, I will need you to raise your right hand and swear to not reveal any of these items to my children.  I will not reveal any presents that I have purchased for my husband, mother-in-law or besties, as they are readers of this blog.  Let's get started, shall we?

I've mentioned my love of Tervis, my favorite cups.  My favorite kind of stocking stuffer is practical, yet the kids don't realize it.  These cups are the perfect size, takes up a nice portion of the stocking, but not too much.  I may be the last to know this, but did you realize you can use a STACK of those 20% off one item Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons in one transaction?!  If you buy 5 items and have 5 coupons, you can use them all.  Cha Ching!


Here is another stocking stuffer or a cute $10 gift for any girlie, age 8 to 98.  Its the leather, and I really mean pleather, snap wallet from Target.

The insides of the wallets are bright colored, like this owl one that is hiding out in my attic


Buy Halloween costumes 50% or more off the original price for Christmas gifts and year-round dress up.  I scored Anakin Skywalker in two sizes, Darth Vader and a Clone Trooper, all from Target, but sold many places.


And the last find for today- Firefly in  a jar from Toys R Us.  Perfect for Mr. William who all summer ran around in the yard in his pjs several nights a week trying to catch a glowing pet.  I love this toy - it also comes in an equally realistic butterfly in a jar.  



So excited to shop with you.  Of course, we will take periodic Pepsi breaks, but remember our goal is to be done before the Grinch steals Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment