Lately, I've been feeling the pressure of choosing paint colors. The fact that a professional painter is going to paint every inch of the the inside of my house is mind-numbing. The fact that we will move into a move-in ready house for the first time in our marriage is exhilarating. Sure, not a great path to get to the new house, but still, I"ll take the silver lining.
To help chose the paint colors, I've been looking at fabric and if you know me, you know I am drawn to every hue in the rainbow. My most dreaded question to answer is what's my favorite color - I really can't chose. I'm sure this confetti colored syndrome of mine must have a name. As I was checking out fabric samples at Calico Corners today, I looked down and saw this:
And I thought to myself "Julie, get a grip! Choose something!" But really, how could I? They're all fabulous. And then - brainstorm! How to people calm their sleep? White noise. How do I calm my love of the whole crayon box? White walls. I came home wondering if I would love white walls - walls that would be the stage for a supporting cast of colored accessories and fabrics.
As luck would have it, I came home to find this beauty in my mailbox:
Matthew Mead's beyond beautiful seasonal magazine, that I had pre-ordered during the first few doldrum weeks at the rental house. This magazine is artwork in itself - full of summer recipes, party ideas and home decor. Every page is more inspirational than the last - and then near the end, I spot this:
Meg Duerksen's house. Gorgeous home centered around her children, filled with many of my same quirky collections and fabrics and .....white walls. I e-mailed her right away and introduced myself and she was so cool that she responded right away pushing me to go for it!
So my friends, with the exception of the kiddos rooms (because they have picked their own colors), my house will be white. When we walk in the empty house on the first day, it will not look like our own, but its personality will slowly emerge. The yellow will shine, the orange will shout, the green will flourish and the red will dance. So, if you visit us - and we hope you will - know that our house will be a work in progress. As we make new memories there in that same, but different space, our life will show on the canvas of the peaceful white walls.
So, now off to pick a white. Yikes. Any suggestions?
P.S. You can find Meg's blog, Whatever, on my side bar!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment