Anyone who knows me, knows that I love London. Sadly, I have only been there once (so far!) Long before I made the long-awaited trip across the pond, I knew I would love it. Every time I saw a fabric in a magazine, a sweater in a catalog, a toy on a store shelf that I absolutely loved, they all seemed to be of British origin. I love the architecture, the tradition and the pomp. I was almost afraid to go visit as I feared that the real London could never live up to the image in my mind. Then Bart went a few days ahead of me for a business trip and called me with the news that I would love it. I arrived armed with dog-eared guidebooks and street addresses to what I was sure were going to be my new favorite haunts. Bart was a trooper as we trekked to Designers Guild and Liberty, a fantastic little ribbon shop and Trotters to buy shoes to take back for the children. He understood my pilgrimage to Kensington Palace and Westminster Abbey. We walked through the outdoor markets at Portobello Road and picked out a house in Kensington. We visited museums and dreamed of our kiddos wearing the fabulous school uniforms seen dashing down the street. I definitely want to go again- both alone with Bart and with my children in tow. Except for the American-hating cab driver that drove us to the airport (which later required us giving a statement to the hotel for "an investigation"), the trip was perfect! Along with millions of others, I will be up bright and early Friday morning, with Caroline, to watch the lovely pomp of the wedding of William and Kate. What a beautiful couple they are, inside and out. Just as my sister and I watched the wedding of Charles and Diana, Caroline and I will drink tea and eat yummies and ooh and ahh over every detail. I am excited to share it with her. So here's to a jolly good time to all of you!

Oh, Julie! I wish I could watch with you and Caroline! NOBODY else here is the least bit interested! I'm all alone in my excitement! I just don't understand them, we have a chance to indulge in a bit of a real life fairy tale happy-ever-after story, and they would rather sleep! I'm just not gonna share my scones with them! hahaha!
ReplyDeleteHello my favorite cousin! I was up bright and early to bask in the pomp and circumstance of all things royal too (it would have been so much more fun to have someone to watch it with however). Last night I picked up scones from the bakery so I could enjoy a proper English breakfast while I watched the wedding of the century. I hope it was a magical morning for you and Caroline! I am now at work, eagerly awaiting the countdown to the first kiss!(Thank you live internet coverage!)
ReplyDelete