
The albatross around my neck is gone. A little dramatic I realize, but as much as I enjoyed making an advent calendar for my children, I am very happy that I completed it (on December 1st!) In each pocket, there is a Hershey Kiss (or Horsey Kiss as William called it today) and a piece of paper listing a fun activity for that day. Today's activity is decorating the playroom tree. Tomorrow's activity is getting out their Christmas snow globes. You get the idea. I didn't want to put trinkets in each pocket because I wanted the calendar to reflect the feeling of Christmas and not the STUFF of Christmas. This project was very inexpensive to make - $9 for the canvas (half price at Hobby Lobby), $3 for the khaki cotton fabric and about $3 worth of felt. Hope you don't mind that I took a few pictures. A big shout out to my handy husband for helping me staple the backing to the canvas!

Santa's head from my Mom's vintage 1970s advent calendar. I added his body. I love how she pulled strands of red over the white felt on his face to make his cheeks look rosy. Crafty, Roberta!
Vintage teddy bear and drum, new Santa bag.
Happy Advent!
What a great idea! I love the thought of a little treat plus an activity!
ReplyDeleteYou did an amazing job!
So, as I sit her at work lightly cyber-stalking you and dreaming about the weekend I stumbled across this posting and nearly fell out of my chair. "Why" you may ask? Well, Shawn is away until Sunday and my weekend plans were to rehabilitate the very advent calendar from the 1970's that you are describing which Aunt Roberta made for me!
ReplyDeleteI have saved it all these years and it is actually still in great shape, however for some reason about half of the ornaments have been misplaced over the years. So... my goal was to start the process of 1) remembering which ones are missing (by far the hardest part) and 2) collecting the materials to make them! For several days I have been keeping a list whenever I have a flash-back to 30 years ago (egads, 30 years.... REALLY?) and can remember yet another missing treasure. I was certain I remembered a little gray mouse as part of the menagerie but then assumed it was a figment; that was until I saw it was one of the ornaments on your calendar!
I still have the wreath with a candle as well as the Santa head among several others (two of my favorites being the Oscar the Grouch and my little blue bunny). I know I am missing the blue lollipop and a few others but I need help in recalling the entire list. I even called mom to see if she could remember. Whatever blanks I can’t fill in I will create new ornaments that will be special to both Shawn and me so I can merge the old tradition with a new one I hope to create. Thanks Julie (I miss you)!
Heather-
ReplyDeleteJust now read your comment. Am I remembering correctly that there was a Cookie Monster? Maybe my mom would remember. It is a fun project. You should definitely go for it!
-Julie