Friday, December 10, 2010

Aside from my family and friends, few things bring me greater joy than needlepoint.  I started to needlepoint about 12 years ago after sewing and cross-stitch and many other needlework endeavors.  I first made Bart a belt (a quintessential project for the first time pointer).  When we were expecting Caroline, I decided to pass time by needlepointing her Christmas stocking and this project hooked me.  I loved having her homemade stocking hanging on our mantel for her first Christmas and even more so, I loved the long process of making it, the many hours of entertainment it provided me.  The next year, I decided to stitch her an ornament that would become a yearly tradition.  Fast forward to now, and I have made 5 stockings  and 23 ornaments.  Every year when we trim the tree, the kiddos line up their ornaments with such pride.  It reminds me that every stitch is better than any toy I could buy them. It is my personal declaration to them:  You are worth all of my time and effort.  You are the source of my joy.  You are valued and your place in the world is right here.

This year Bart snapped a picture after the kids did "the lineup"
This year's ornaments were especially anticipated because I had the children's favorite stuffed animals drawn on the canvas.  As fun as they were to make, I have never ripped out so many stitches in my life!  Trying to get the textures to look just like the favorite friends was very hard, but very worth it.

Here is Henry, friend to Caroline:
and the "real life" Henry with his ornament:
Here is Harold, friend to Owen:
and here is Bunny and Polka Dot Doggy, friends to William:
I hope you find some homemade happiness in the holidays, whether its baking, crafting or stitching.
As for me, I am already working on William's ornament for next year as these three projects take me the entire year to make.  Plus, I hope (fingers crossed) that I'll be working on another stocking!

Happy homemade holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! It looks like you do such a great job creating traditions and beautiful memories for your kids!

    ReplyDelete