Here is a picture of our front door:
and here is what guests see when our front door is opened:
Now here is the door that our friends and family use:
And here is what they see when we open that garage door:
When we moved in this house 8 years ago, we decided to remove the cheap folding doors that covered our laundry area. They always popped open and got in the way. Of course we didn't know at the time that since our driveway is on the side of our house, most guests would enter this way. For 8 years, we have greeted people into the ugliest part of our house. This week, I have re-entered nesting mode. I've decided to transform this area. I am going to welcome friends and family in style!
I've been in a funk for the last week. Can't shake it. I've decided not to hide it. Why should I hide it when I don't hide my dirty laundry? Last week, we felt a strong connection to a birth mother. We thought for sure she would pick us. The matching process was long and drawn out, a few weeks, which is longer than usual. In the end, she didn't pick us. Her reasoning: we are too religious. Really? I can't comprehend that. Our faith, our stronghold in God's plan for us was in the end, our downfall with this particular birth mother. To that I shout "Hark the herald angels sing, Glory to the newborn king!"
I wonder how many times we ask people how they are doing and they show us the pretty side of themselves and answer an automatic, yet false, "great! How are you?" Do we really open ourselves up to listen to people's needs and offer to be a help to them? A few weeks ago, one of Caroline's religion teachers made a point to come up to me and tell me this story. It seems that a few days before, she had run into Caroline at church and asked "How are you?" Caroline said "fine, how are you?" The teacher then told me that Caroline just stood there and looked her in the eye, waiting for a response. She was struck, as I was, that Caroline really wanted to know about her well-being.
As for me, taking a lesson from my 10-year old, when I ask how you are, I really want to know. If you are having the best day of your life, I'd love to hear about it. If your heart has been stomped on, by birth mother or otherwise, I will listen and pray for the guidance and friendship to help you. You can even come to the garage door if you want. Actually, come to the front door for a month. Because while true friendships are beautiful, my laundry area is just ugly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This post totally moved me. Beautifully, beautifully written, my friend. oxox ;)
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't matter to me what door I use to enter your home, just who's on the other side! I love you my friend.
ReplyDeleteJulie, this post brought tears to my eyes. You are so genuine and I'm so happy I know you. I'm sorry that your strong faith is the reason your household has not yet been blessed with another child, but I have faith it will happen soon. Thank you for inspiring me, Julie.
ReplyDelete