Monday, November 8, 2010

Thankful for Christmas

Why can't I be thankful for Christmas?  This time of year I hear a lot of bah humbug about town from all of the scrooges who complain about Christmas decorations in stores before Thanksgiving.   Not me, I love it. I don't understand why people complain about Christmas.  Do they try to do too much?  Are their shopping lists too long?  Here's my advice: cancel a  few gatherings and plan them for January, pick names among your family and most important:  pour your thermal mug of hot chocolate, don a scarf, pop in your favorite Christmas songs in your car's CD player and head out shopping.  Don't wait until a month from now - it will only add to your scrooge factor.  At Thanksgiving, be thankful and enjoy your family.  You will not be less thankful because you starting celebrating Christmas before eating the turkey.  In fact, you'll have more time to enjoy all that December brings: a morning coffee with a friend, a child's school play, an Advent service, trimming your tree.

I shopped today and it was fabulous- even went as crazy as taking my 5 year old to Toys R Us to buy toys for his cousins and nothing for us.  We sang along to the store's Christmas music and he caught the holiday spirit.  One of his favorite things in the whole store was this motorcycle.  It will NOT be under our tree this year - but look at that smile!

My favorite part of the store was the FAO Schwarz section - my old company.  I'm sure the FAO toys won't sell well because they have no bells and whistles, no batteries, no blinking lights.  But I loved them.  I really wanted to buy something for myself but that would just be crazy -would it, wouldn't it, would it, wouldn't it.  Well, we'll see. The season is young!

And since we're talking Christmas- have you seen the seasonal section at Target yet?  Right past the aisle of 75% off Halloween costumes you will find the oh so delicious holiday ornaments, displayed in a way that looks like candy.  I really couldn't decide.  I need to think about it.  Glitter or woodsy, homespun or classic Santas and snowmen.  The weight of the world on my shoulders!  And notice the $2 price tags! Fa la la la la, la la la la!

No comments:

Post a Comment