Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bargains and a Royal Wedding

Random posting today- so much going through my mind.  Item #1 (as it should be):  Prince William finally asking Kate to marry him.  Hallelujah!  Bring on the crown jewels!  I have followed the royal family for, well.. forever.  Stayed up all night to watch Princess Diana's wedding to what's-his-name, bought a copy of her famous white sheep/black sheep sweater and truly mourned when she died.  My day with Bart touring Kensington Palace and having tea at the Orangery was one of the best days of my life!   I happen to know that couples who date for 8 years have the best marriages!

Item #2- bargains from my weekend.  Went to my mecca (Target) and found the cutest reindeer pillow.  I loved the simple, clean lines of the reindeer and the red and green were the perfect shades.  I thought it would look so cute on my fireplace hearth - replacing the black and white pillows with Christmas pillows.  The pillow was $12.99, but then Hel-lo! (say in your Father of the Bride Franc voice), next to it was the same reindeer in a place mat for $3.99.  I bought the place mat and brought it home to make my own pillow, only to realize that if you separate the front and back (easily done with a seam ripper), you can make two pillows!  I had the red polka dot in my stash which I used for the back.  Since I had some holiday fabric already, the total cost for two pillows was $3.99.

Item #3- estate sale.  Soccer season is over, the kiddos were at the grandparents sleeping over which gave me the perfect opportunity to go to yard sales.   It was pretty chilly and near the end of the yard sale season but I came across an estate sale that was full of goodies.  Really nice antiques which I did not need, a beautiful vase that I loved but didn't buy because it housed a dead mouse, but then - jackpot.  A set of eleven window candles - something I've always wanted for the center of our wreathes that we hang each year.  The bases are solid brass, not the cheap plastic ones that are out in stores now.  The asking price was $80, but were marked at 1/2 off.  I only had $30 cash and didn't have my checkbook with me.  I offered the $30 and a promise that they would be going to a great family and they said okay.  My clever husband found suction cup hangers for them so we will be good to go.  Love the red sleeves, love that they are vintage but with quality cords and plugs and love a good estate sale!
Item #4  - an advent calendar.  I can not believe that I have never made my children an advent calendar.  The really sad thing is that I made advent calendars for friends' children before we had children.  With only two weeks until December and one bum thumb, I thought this would be the perfect year to make one! Stay tuned for the progress as I continue with my neurotic nesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment