Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Sherman

Santa struck a huge victory this year and his name is Sherman.  A discontinued, hispanic skin, dark haired bitty twin boy named Sherman.  Hallelujah!  Not since Baby Jesus himself has a baby been more longed for.  (just kidding, but not really)

Back track to a few weeks before Christmas.  I go to the American Girl store with Caroline and Finn to buy a gift for my niece Emma.  Caroline and I are in heaven.  Its been a few years since we've been into the AG store and we are giddy to have a reason to go back.  Trying to prolong our stay there, we decide to have a treat in their cafe.  The sweet manager brings out her personal doll from the back that looks like Finn to sit with us.  She calls him Sherman.

Of course you know the rest of the story- Finn falls for Sherman, Sherman was not only part of a twin set but is now discontinued and I make it my personal mission to find Sherman.  I take a close up picture of Sherman for reference and we kiss him goodbye.

I post the picture on our local Facebook Swap and Sell site.  What luck!  A mom from school has him, although in a lighter skin tone, and brings him to school the next day.  I have him in my car!!!  I am on my way to pick up Caroline from one of her finals - excited to tell her that we have lift-off!   Then an email comes- can I return him?  Her daughter was not ready to part with him.  Of course, what am I to do.  I can't be the source of a little girl's sadness.   The mission continues.

I call the American Girl number.  No luck.  In fact, not helpful at all.  The woman on the other end of the phone did not even consult the computer.  Last ditch effort - I called the St. Louis store and told them the sob story, being sure to emphasis how nice they were in the store.  Do they have an extra in the back?   She says no but consults her computer.   She shows one in the warehouse!!!!   She takes my order with the warning that they may call and tell me that the inventory was incorrect and that they don't have one.  She asked me if I want to pay $30 in expedited shipping.  This is where I draw my line between determined and crazy.  I say no, hoping that since I am in the same UPS region as the warehouse,  Sherman will arrive in time for Santa.

I wait for the phone call........instead I get an email that it has shipped with tracking info that says it will arrive before Christmas!  I decide that Sherman needs to arrive in style with a bed from IKEA and a homemade quilt.  Obviously, I am reliving my daughter's childhood and admitting it means I don't need therapy.  Lets face it, trains and superheroes are fun but after three rounds of the boy stuff, I do miss the dolls and tea parties sometimes.

but maybe those things can co-exist.  Evidence below - Catboy holding his very own Sherman.


And since we were leaving the next day for Maryland, Finn decided Sherman needed a suitcase of clothes.   A quick trip to the craft room where I had a little suitcase and up to the attic where Caroline pulled down some old doll clothes from her Bitty Baby and Sherman was the best dressed cross dresser on the East Coast!   Being a boy though, sometimes its just funny to be naked.



Finn + Sherman = childhood.   Welcome to the family Sherman!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Julie! This makes my heart so happy! While I love spending time with my girls, enjoying this stage in their life as young adults, I truly miss shopping in the toy department! Happiest of New Year wishes for you and your family!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!!! what a mom you are!!!

    ReplyDelete