Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Summer tunes

Only a few more days of school  and that means its time to create our 6th annual summer playlist.   What started as just a way to monitor what music the kids listen to in the car has become a time capsule of sorts as I look back at all of the previous years' playlists.

With two middle schoolers, a grade schooler and a toddler,  the 2014 playlist could be the quirkiest yet.  Over the past few days, music has been submitted for consideration via the kitchen chalkboard.  Bart and I listen to songs to approve content (no potty mouth, positive messages only) and then the playlist is created.

What I love most about the playlist is that because we play it so much, it starts to trigger memories that we create over the summer.    Whenever I hear the highly annoying Hamster Dance, I remember  William requesting it EVERY TIME we drove to swim practice a few years ago.  It was so annoying it became endearing.

This year's list is definitely more "big kid",  but I'm all in.  I am growing with my big kids, embracing the young adults they are becoming and letting their opinions and discoveries shine.  Welcome Summer 2014!   Your soundtrack is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment