Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Do small things with great love

You know I must have a sleeping baby this afternoon because I'm blogging!   Wanted to tell you about a very cool way to directly impact a child a world away this Christmas.  A few weeks ago,  the kids and I saw these boxes at Chick-Fil-A

Perhaps you've seen them before.  Perhaps you've filled one.  Basically, you fill the box with gifties and toiletries for a child and for $7 per box, Operation Christmas Child ships it around the world to a child in need.

The kids and I had a great time filling our boxes.  It was a real lesson in how what we take for granted - toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, etc. - are gifts to so many.   We went to one of the kids' favorite stores - Five Below:
This is Caroline's box, half-filled.

The boys were so giddy that along with essentials and a few toys, they shoved a gigantic stuffed animal in their box.  I loved their chatter about how the little boy would feel when he opened his box and that dog pops out.



And here is an example of what we did not buy to send in the box, but William was sure any boy would love:

Only $1 - what a bargain!

Our boxes are sealed, with tracking labels attached so we can see where they go, and back to Chick-Fil-A.  The kids hope to receive letters back from the recipients.  Collection sites are all over the country, all week.    Go to samaritanspurse.org for more info.  For us, I think its a new Christmas tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment