I have decided to donate a stack of books - the books that label and define my children. I have nothing but respect for these authors. I have no doubt that they are experts in their fields. I applaud them for their years of study and research and for the perseverance that it took to get their books published. But these books take an immense amount of time to read and guess what I am not doing while I am reading them? Mothering! I don't want my children to see me reading this book and think that I am trying to "fix what is "wrong" with them. I'm sort of over the labels. My children were created by God and gifted to me to love and nurture. I will hug them and bandage their toddler scrapes, listen to their teenage music and cheer for them from the sidelines. I will chaperone their dances and plan their classroom party crafts. I will frame their art and feed them good, healthy food (need to work harder on this one!) I will continually build them up in hopes that they will learn to do that for others. I will show them that their quirks and imperfections make them perfect to me. I am often squirmy, scattered, sad, crazy, tired and grouchy. I'm thankful that the only label they have given me is Mom. Deliberate mothering. That is my goal. Join me?
Saturday, March 12, 2016
Titles no more
I have decided to donate a stack of books - the books that label and define my children. I have nothing but respect for these authors. I have no doubt that they are experts in their fields. I applaud them for their years of study and research and for the perseverance that it took to get their books published. But these books take an immense amount of time to read and guess what I am not doing while I am reading them? Mothering! I don't want my children to see me reading this book and think that I am trying to "fix what is "wrong" with them. I'm sort of over the labels. My children were created by God and gifted to me to love and nurture. I will hug them and bandage their toddler scrapes, listen to their teenage music and cheer for them from the sidelines. I will chaperone their dances and plan their classroom party crafts. I will frame their art and feed them good, healthy food (need to work harder on this one!) I will continually build them up in hopes that they will learn to do that for others. I will show them that their quirks and imperfections make them perfect to me. I am often squirmy, scattered, sad, crazy, tired and grouchy. I'm thankful that the only label they have given me is Mom. Deliberate mothering. That is my goal. Join me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment