So here we are, December 4th, and no Ernie in sight. While my children have not asked about Ernie, William has told me about his friends' elves. I can feel the question mark just hovering in the air. The elves themselves are cute but I wondered how I could transition Ernie to just be a part of our holiday decorations. Today, it hit me - I will elevate my children's status at the North Pole and Ernie will retire to live with us.
So this is what my children will see tonight:
What a huge burden lifted! I will no longer have to wake up in the middle of the night, remembering that I forgot to move Ernie or have to make up an excuse why Ernie hasn't moved (he's sick, its his day off, that's his favorite spot to sit, etc.) I am a free woman! Actually, for today, I am:
Yours very sincerely,
Cornelius Glisten
Director, Elf Dispatch
P.S. Interested in retiring your elf? Copy and paste this:
Dear -
Congratulations!!!! On behalf of the Department of Naughty and
Nice, the Elf Dispatch Division, we are pleased as peppermint to formally
announce that you have been placed on our MANGER list (Mostly Always Nice,
Giving Everyone Respect). This is a huge accomplishment, something
that you and your parents should be extremely proud of!
Your award for being on
the MANGER list is that Ernie your elf will now live with you permanently and
no longer has to report back to Santa each night. Ernie has been waiting a long time for this –
to be formally adopted into your family!!!
Tonight, Ernie is hidden
for you to find (he likes to make a grand entrance). After that, you may play with him whenever
you like and treat him as member of your family.
Being on the MANGER list
comes with responsibilities too. It
means that Santa has confidence that you will continue to make good choices –
in fulfilling your responsibilities to your family and at school and most
important – in how you treat other people.
Treat them with gentle kindness, seeing each person as God created them. Everyone makes mistakes and you will too. Learn from your mistakes and seek forgiveness
and you will remain on the MANGER list forever.
Not everyone knows about
the MANGER list, so keep it top secret!
Elves at your friends’ houses may still be traveling back to the North
Pole and that is fine. There’s room for
everyone on the nice list.
Yours very sincerely,
Cornelius Glisten
Director, Elf Dispatch


Julie, this is awesome!!! We have never had "Ernie" in our home, but I have several friends who do and it looks like a lot of work. You are very creative!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Melissa! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteGenius! I know a lot of Moms who need this!!!! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE YOU for posting this. I've not been looking forward to all the shenanigans this year - only for the same reason you have not been looking forward to them. Hahahahahaha I just don't have the time and mental energy this season. I'm doing this tonight!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. I to am done with this. My kids are not interested in trying to find the elf and just want to play with it. This is the perfect solution.😊
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. I to am done with this. My kids are not interested in trying to find the elf and just want to play with it. This is the perfect solution.😊
ReplyDeleteYou have saved my life, thank you for this post! Lol, seriously though, this is year number four for our elf and even though it was fun at first it has grown stressful. Our youngest is still very much into it though. Wasn't sure how to end it on a good note, so thanks again!
ReplyDeleteWe started almost 2 weeks late this year because I was dreading it so much. To cover we wrote a poem on our elf's arrival about how she saw someone in need on the way to our house and had to go back to the north pole to present their situation to Santa. She had to make sure they were taken care of for Christmas because she couldn't see someone in need and not help. Worked like a charm!
Oh my goodness!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This is an ingenious way to put an end to my "elf duties" while having my daughter still "believe". We started late with the elf this year, because I couldn't think of a way to make it easier, and then I settled on weekly moves/visits to the North Pole, because my daughter is older and now "the elf's job is to teach her to share kindness with others" - so he gave her weekly "missions" to accomplish - like making cards to send to the military who are not home for the holidays. But this is a great way to end it for good, and have Percy come live with us forever. Again, thank you!!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad I found this! We are retiring our elf this year too. I had a similar idea, but hadn't been able to put it to words. We are retiring for a slightly different reason. My daughter loves the elf more than Santa. She has started school and I know other kids will soon start saying it's not real. I want to go out on a positive note. Our elf is going out doing a lot of fun things (no naughty for us) and it's a lot of work, but the joy on her face is priceless. I love the MANGER idea. And while, she will be sad when she realizes that the elf isn't returning next year, I think getting to keep the elf and being recognized for good behavior is a wonderful way to go. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Thank you, Thank you! My son is 12 now and I have been racking my brain on how to go about retiring "Starry". Even though I am one of those who love to have the elf do thoughtful, fun, and sometimes naughty things every night...our whole family gets the joy in finding him the next morning to see what he is up too! I want our elf to retire on a positive note and not when my son no longer thinks it is fun! So thank you for this!
ReplyDeleteCute idea. I actually used the elves as a way to tell my oldest child about the real Santa, but it has to be kept a secret from the other younger children. 10 is the ripe age that each child gets their elf, and then helps in the joy of planning the night for the elves. It's a lot of fun finding out what the oldest has planned for the elves and helping once in awhile. Also, why do it every night? No need, whoops, we must have touched them to much. Children are so cute and make up reasons for why.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this I too have been wondering how to end our visits from Joey McSnowy! He started to visit when my son was 2, he is now 10! We have no little siblings to allow him to help plan surprises for, so have been a little stuck. I feel I have done my time, It's not that I'm fed up or running out of ideas, it's not that my son is bored. I know he knows there is no Santa/elf situation, but he just doesn't want to admit to knowing it! We love the magic of Christmas and this has been a big part for along time including birthdays, Halloween and other special days. I want to retire Joey before we have 'THE'conversation, let him go on a high I say!
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely wonderful! The stress of coming up with new ideas has taken its toll - we have had a great run for the past 4 years; however, our 10-year old is growing older and would like our elf to go out in style while he still believes. I love how you put "adopted" as we are currently going through the adoption process and this letter ties into the events our family is currently experiencing. For our future child, we can bring in a new elf and start from the beginning. Again - THANK YOU!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing. All of our children are adopted so I am so excited for you and your upcoming addition to your family!
DeleteThank you for allowing the copy!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of this for when the kids get to old for the tradition. Seems like a really nice way to retire them. I like doing the elves every night. Ours don't misbehave though lol they only play little pranks that usually leads to the kids finding a little treat. Like one visit Jack taped all of the toy drawers shut. When the tape was removed the drawers had been organized and there was some candy canes in there for them. But I know the elf isn't every families cup of tea. It can be a lot of work especially when kids see all the elaborate things other elves are doing online and from friends at school.
ReplyDeleteThis letter is a great idea. You have probably just saved so many families from elf headaches! Good job on your part!
Bless you! Excellent!
ReplyDeleteI am sho glad yo have found this my husband and I were just talking about writing a letter this morning and making this our elf on the shelf last year. But I didn't know how to word it in a letter. Thank you for such a beautiful way to help me retire our elf.
ReplyDelete